Sunday, March 29, 2009

Nathan Griffith Reason Dance Track Analysis (And final project proposal)

I chose to analyze Nathan's Reason song, and in doing so I was quite impressed. Basically he used a very evolving approach in the overall construction of the track, and one that truly has a 2-part execution. There is a very dark and ominous introduction that uses a cloudy synthesizer rolling out a bass riff, which reappears later during the body of the piece. The riff plays as the percussion is slowly faded in and swells to a transition point when the main melodies of the song appear for the first time. Once these higher and lighter synths are added in the piece has a much more free-floating quality to it, even though the dark rumbling bass moves in after a few measures.

I particularly like the swell into the brighter section, it offers a very clean and appropriate transition between two seemingly opposite feels. The whole piece reminds me of video game music, which I also love. Nostalgia...


As for my final project, I'd like to explore the boundaries between two of my favorite genres, house and hip-hop. From my understanding, the vocal patterns and percussion rhythms in hip-hop are two of the main elements that set it apart from faster-paced, more "dance-oriented" genres like house and techno. Usually the vocals in house are more singing (as opposed to rapping) and are usually done by a diva or a vocalist that uses a more reverberating, soaring approach on top of the synths and quick-thumping bass. One of my favorite artists, Zion I, has always pushed this boundary between hip-hop delivery and house beats, and it's something that I've always admired but never tried myself. Below is an example of Zion I playing with these borders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxr3gnOD_4I

So basically I'd like to create a danceable house instrumental, and play with the conventional hip-hop delivery of vocals and sampling over top of it. (Maybe through some vinyl work in there as well)...

No comments:

Post a Comment